2015 COOK COUNTY SHERIFF'S
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER APPLICATION
EFFECTIVE WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY JANUARY 1, 2015 THE COOK COUNTY SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD WILL AGAIN BEGIN ACCEPTING APPLICATI0NS FOR THE POSITION OF CORRECTIONAL OFFICER. APPLICATIONS MUST BE COMPLETED AND SUBMITTED THROUGH THE SHERIFF’S ON-LINE APPLICATION SYSTEM.
THE COOK COUNTY SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE CORRECTIONAL OFFICERS APPLICATIONS ON AN AS NEEDED BASIS. A NOTICE WILL BE POSTED ON THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE WEBSITE WHEN THE APPLICATION PROCESS IS SUSPENDED. INTERESTED APPLICANTS SHOULD CONTINUE TO CHECK THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE WEBSITE FOR APPLICATION AVAILABILITY.
2015 Correctional Officers Application
ALL APPLICANTS MUST:
A) BE A UNITED STATES CITIZEN;
B) BE 21 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER OR 20 YEARS OF AGE WITH TWO (2) YEARS OF COLLEGE CREDIT IN LAW ENFORCEMENT FROM AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY;
C) HAVE A VALID HIGH SCHOOL DIPLOMA OR G.E.D. ACCEPTABLE TO THE SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD OR AT LEAST SIXTY (60) COLLEGE CREDIT HOURS FROM AN ACCREDITED COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY;
D) HAVE A VALID DRIVERS LICENSE ACCEPTABLE TO THE SHERIFF’S MERIT BOARD;
E) HAVE A VALID FIREARM OWNERS IDENTIFICATION CARD(FOID), OR BE ABLE TO OBTAIN A FOID CARD WITHIN ONE MONTH OF APPOINTMENT;
Please be advised applicants will be disqualified from consideration for employment as a Cook County Correctional Officer if it is determined that the applicant has;
- Committed the deliberate omission, concealment or falsification of relevant facts from any personnel security questionnaire, personal history statement, or similar form used to conduct investigations, determine employment qualifications, etc.
- Been convicted of a felony
- Committed employment related crimes
- Sold illegal drugs
- Used illegal drugs within a specific period of time
- Acquired extensive debt or evidence of extreme financial negligence
- Applicants will be notified of the next step of the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board process by email.
- Applicants will be notified of the written examination(s), test(s) and physical ability test by email. The physical ability test includes running one and one half (1& ½) miles in 16.52 minutes, completing up to twenty four (24) sit-ups in one (1) minute, and completing one (1) bench press equal to 52% of your total body weight.
- If you change your email address it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to change the email address in your on-line profile.
- All applicants certified by the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board will be subject to additional testing by the Cook County Sheriff’s Office Bureau of Human Resources.
- All applicants certified by the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board cannot reapply until their certification expires. The certification period is two (2) years from the date of certification.
- The application posting period may end without notice, if your application has not been completed and submitted it will not be considered. If you do not complete your application immediately you can utilize the Cook County Sheriff’s Office website link that will be listed on your emailed payment receipt to return to your application.
- Please note: All future communication(s) from the Cook County Sheriff’s Merit Board will be via email. It is your responsibility to ensure your email address is current and that you check your email, including “Spam” to ensure you do not miss any notifications. In addition to checking your personal email account, you may also check for notifications by logging in to the on-line application system, utilizing your login and password. Once you have logged in, click on “My Jobpage” and look for your Correctional Officer job submission. If any email notifications have been sent you will see a heading called “View email Messages”. Open it up to both view and print the email notification(s) sent to you.
- If you meet the requirements listed above, follow the link below to process your payment and proceed to the application process. Upon payment you will be emailed a receipt that contains a confirmation number. The payment confirmation number must be entered on the application under “Filing Fee Confirmation Number”.
Sheriff's Merit Board
TELEPHONE: (312) 603-0170
FAX: (312) 603-9865