CHICAGO MAN CHARGED WITH SOLICITING MURDERS OF SIX
Saturday, March 6, 2010 — A Chicago man was ordered to be held without bond on Saturday after he was charged with six counts of solicitation to commit murder, Cook County Sheriff Tom Dart said.
Edward Floyd, 32, had tried to arrange the murders of two children he is accused of molesting, as well as their parents and two others. Floyd has been in the Cook County Jail since he was arrested in September 2008 on two counts of criminal sexual assault of a child.
Floyd has been in the maximum security division, where he is held in protective custody, meaning he is in his cell for 23 hours each day. During his one hour out of his cell, he recently began notifying other inmates in his division that he was looking for someone to carry out a hit for him.
Officers with the Cook County Sheriff’s Criminal Intelligence Unit learned of Floyd’s intent and assigned an undercover officer to pose as a hit man. Floyd even wrote a letter to the officer, detailing the family’s address and providing a map of the house. He also specifically noted where the children slept. After that was received by police, the officer arranged to meet Floyd at the jail last week.
During a meeting in the visiting room which was recorded, Floyd said he didn’t care if the family knew who had arranged their murder, but wanted the deaths of the children to be “easy.” But he said he wanted the parents to be “shot in the face.” Floyd agreed to pay the officer $15,000 cash to carry out the hit, promising $7,000 in advance.
Friday, Floyd was questioned about his request and he gave a written statement admitting to his involvement. The intended targets, a Chicago family, were notified at that time of his intent.
Floyd, a former baggage handler at O’Hare International Airport, appeared before Cook County Judge Dennis Porter Saturday. He is being held without bond and will next appear before Porter on Monday.