SHERIFF’S POLICE RAID ALSIP
Tuesday, September 1, 2009 — Nine people were arrested Sunday at the Alsip Swap-O-Rama and thousands of pieces of counterfeit designer clothing were seized, according to the Office of Cook County Sheriff Thomas J. Dart.
Sheriff’s Police officers raided eight booths at the south suburban flea market and seized clothing bearing counterfeit labels of Ed Hardy, Nike, True Religion Jeans and professional sports logos from the NFL, NBA and MLB.
Arrested in the raid were:
Baba Sarr, 47, of the 7300 block of South Jeffrey, Chicago, charged with 1 felony count of unauthorized use of a trademark. Sarr is due to appear in bond court on Tuesday at the Bridgeview Courthouse.
The following were charged with misdemeanor counts of unauthorized use of a trademark:
- Karam N. Zhour, 48, of the 8100 block of South Roberts Road, Bridgeview
- Viridiana I. Jimenz, 22, of the 3500 block of West 62nd, Street, Chicago
- Mijanau Scroggins-Muhammad, 48, of the 500 block of South Nelson, Kankakee
- Azhar Raja, 34, of the 1600 block of Downing, Westchester
- Ernesto Lopez, 20, of the 4800 block of South Kilpatrick, Chicago
- Shukara Robertson, 17, of the 6600 block of South Stewart, Chicago
- Syed M. Raza, 53, of the 600 block of Wild Indigo, Romeoville
Also arrested and charged with obstruction:
Randrea C. Payne, 49, of the 6500 block of South Yale, Chicago
If authentic, the confiscated items are estimated to have a total retail value of nearly $300,000.